Loading ...

Establishing Additional Learning Needs | Inclusive Coaching

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Inclusive Coaching » Forum » Coaching Disabled Sportspeople » Establishing Additional Learning Needs
Inclusive Coaching

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Disabled Sportspeople

Establishing Additional Learning Needs

Subscribe to RSS
  • lnapthine

Hi, 

How do you go about establishing any additional learning needs in new clients, particularly adult clients? 

Do you use include this as a question in your existing participant registration form, use a separate form or through a face to face chat? Do you have another way of doing this? 

If you do this via forms, I'd be really interested in examples of how you structure these questions. 

Many thanks,

Louise 

• scotrates8

Hi Louise, 

My instinct, just from a learning point of view is to go with a conversation. Builds the connection first then allows you to ask appropriate questions and seek further detail if needed. 

I guess if anything comes out of that conversation, you might need to look at following up with something more specific. That side is not my area of expertise though, so others might be able to offer more advice on this

Hope that helps!

Mark

• pippaglen

HI Louise 

I work with adult Para-athletes, athletes with cerebral palsy, mental health issues, PTSD, Autism and amputees. You require information on paper for future reference and in the event of a medical emergency. Face to face and getting to know the athlete is a must as both you and the athlete might be a little bit apprehensive at first not knowing what their disability is. The individual's disability might be hidden or visible. You need to be aware of physical disabilities and what makes them feel comfortable if you require specific equipment or training aid to help with training, hidden disabilities if it's mental health, autism, ADHD, PTSD, what are the athlete's triggers and how you as a coach can help them or signpost to other services available. Find as much information as you can regarding the athlete's disability as this will help to plan sessions accordingly, any equipment or training aids you might needs.

When I first started coaching Para athletes I found it difficult to ask questions and find out how they sustained their injuries or what their mental health state is, It took me a few months as I had never met the athlete and felt I didn't want to pry. I found that training without the relevant supporting information was much harder and if I wasn't available to coach there wasn't enough information for other coaches. I now make sure I have information written down for myself, other coaches and in the event of an emergency. 

I hope this helps a little.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)