Loading ...

Guidelines for use and storage of video footage | Embracing Technology

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Embracing Technology » Forum » Video Analysis » Guidelines for use and storage of video footage
Embracing Technology

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Video Analysis

Guidelines for use and storage of video footage

Subscribe to RSS
  • meri

Hi,

I'm new here so - hello!!  And apologies in advance for asking the first of undoubtedly many stupid questions.

I'm looking at ways that rowing clubs use video of training sessions to help support rower development, but I'm struggling to find any official guidelines, particularly on what restrictions apply to storage and sharing. 

Do any of you have any examples from your sport?

• jacobdf

It all depends what you want to do with the video Meri.

Assuming you want your rowers to see the video, Just create a group on Facebook and post your videos there.

If you want to store high quality video, look at vimeo.com. There is a restriction on how much you can post for free, but that's a good incentive to curate your material and only post clips that show useful information. It is easy to video a whole session and post the lot, but that's generally not helpful. I find that for observation or analysis of technique 5-10 strokes is sufficient.

The other thing to consider is how long you should keep the material. My hard drive has many gigabytes of video that I never need to look at again. But some material is worth keeping e.g. to look back and show rowers how much they have improved over the last nn months.

• samcallanfencing

Modern technology has made this easy. That means it also probably means overdoing it.

You can give qualitative feedback easily enough with a video shot on an ipad to show them right after a session and then delete the video.

Another option requires a little more work, but I have done it with rowers on ergs. We set up a camera from the side and ran the camera to a monitor in front of the rower. The rower could then see a side shot of the action.

Sharing might simply require some sort of release if you are videoing one rower to show to another rower. Not sure what the laws are in the UK. But if you are videoing rower A and showing it only to rower A, I would be surprised if there were an issue.

In terms of sharing it either after a session or with other rowers, you can upload it a YouTube channel and set it to private or public. Or you can store the file in dropbox or Google drive and send a link to folks who can then watch it. 

If you want to give feedback there are some inexpensive apps that would allow you to draw on the video and share it. You might want to draw a straight line to emphasize a straight back. Some programs (I have used Dartfish--probably overkill for what you are doing) that allowed me to type notes onto video or do a voice over to explain what I want them to get out of the video. I have a friend who puts the video on Google drive and then has a Google doc with key points (along with time stamps when needed).

• BarbAugustin

Hi Meri

I used to video my athletes but have now started using the "burst" function on my phone - it takes upto 100 shots in short succession. It's easier than video as I can just go straight to the best photo instead of trying to pause the video on the right spot.

After I started doing this, I found this article: https://simplifaster.com/articles/altis-kinogram-method/ - which describes how to take a consistent set of photos that you can compare over time. They only take 5 photos - which would take up much less space than minutes of video.

I haven't tried it as yet.

Good luck!

Barb

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)