Loading ...

Coaches treading an ever more precarious ethical line | Embracing Technology

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Embracing Technology » Forum » All other conversations about technology » Coaches treading an ever more precarious ethical line
Embracing Technology

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other conversations about technology

Coaches treading an ever more precarious ethical line

Subscribe to RSS
  • Blake

I started a conversation on ConnectedCoaches, just over six months ago now, on whether “the line between permitted technological improvements and unfair advantage is becoming greyer by the day.” And I have a few more questions that I would really like to get your observations on.

In one breath, coaches are told to embrace technology to the hilt.

At an elite level, the English Institute of Sport spends a considerable amount of money developing cutting edge kit in James Bond-style labs, which coaches and athletes can use to improve athletic performance that can be translated into Olympic success. 

In the other breath, coaches and athletes are warned about the dangers of using technology to gain an unfair advantage.

The milestone marathons in Vienna and Chicago over the last few days serve as perfect examples of the blurred lines that remain and so often polarise opinion.

The performances of Eliud Kipchoge in running the first sub 2-hour marathon and, hot on his heels, Brigid Kosgei in setting a new women’s marathon world record, were jaw-dropping.

There was nothing covert about Kipchoge’s use of artificial advantages in his ‘unofficial’ tilt at history. Rather, Nike shone a spotlight on them for all to see, brighter than a Bat-signal hologram – all part of its flamboyant marketing tactic. From prototype Nike shoes, to laser beams projected onto the road as positional markers, to the 41 rotating pace-makers running in a reverse V formation to protect Kipchoge from the lightest of breezes.

But it was Brigid Kosgei’s achievement, and the intense post-race scrutiny she faced, that really got me to thinking about what technological innovations are deemed ‘above board’ and what spill over into the ‘unscrupulous’ bracket. And I was left with more questions than answers.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on the questions I have been ruminating on…

• So what if she wore the same cutting edge shoe design as Kipchoge? Does it matter?
    • If it does, then should the fuzzy rules for what constitutes permissible racing kit/clothing/equipment be made clearer to prevent such controversies becoming irresolvable disagreements?
    • Would you advise your athletes to wear said shoes if there was a good chance they would shave seconds, or even minutes, off their personal best?
    • And, finally, what is the difference between wearing performance-enhancing shoes and gaining an advantage by training for several weeks at altitude or using a hyperbaric oxygen chamber?

Or maybe we should just ask Alexa for the answers!

• Blake

Interesting article on the fall-out from Shoe-gate here by Sean Ingle in The Guardian: "Do not be surprised if the arms race in shoe technology soon goes nuclear."

He writes: "Depending on the model and athlete they typically improve a person’s running economy by 4-5% – which translates to at least a minute- to 90-second advantage for an elite male runner over 26.2 miles. Perhaps even more."

Then goes on to say: "... whatever the IAAF does next, it must more closely observe its own rule 143.2, which states shoes 'must not be constructed so as to give athletes any unfair assistance or advantage'."

Before concluding that the IAAF will not ban the shoes, even though they clearly give athletes who wear them an unfair advantage. 

Yet more shades of grey preventing us finding a way out of this moral maze.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/oct/21/shoes-nike-world-records-technology

• stewmasterathletecomGIMOCP9R

There comes the follow up discussion of what is performance enhancing and what is performance enabling :/

Does the shoe, make the athlete move faster than they can go!.... No (obviously they can move faster as they are not sprinting)

Does the shoe alter their physiology (such as EPO etc)?... Nope

So does this shoe "enable" them to run simply within their limits? Yes.......

I remember a discussion years ago regarding the use of Cortisone injections, not enhancing but allows the athlete to perform blah blah.  So it is a strange argument that will play out over the next few years for sure no doubt 

• andrewb62

Interesting question, and one that has been addressed recently in my own sport of cricket.

The size of cricket bats has been regulated in an attempt to reduce growing the imbalance between batters & bowlers. Seemingly with some success — instances of the more outrageous hitting sprees do appear to have become rarer since the new regulations were introduced.

But this is an artificial constraint — cricket grounds can’t be made any larger, so the distance a ball can be hit needs to be limited by the technology. I believe that golf club developments have been banned in the pro game where they allow a player to hit “too far”.

The question of technology in “pure performance” sports, such as track & field or swimming, is notionally easier to address.

If tech improves performance beyond human capability, it seems “unfair” - swimming skin-suits with less drag than human skin.

If it merely reduces the disadvantage inherent in a piece of equipment, on the other hand (e.g. stiffer shoes that might absorb less energy than heavily padded trainers), then I would probably have no complaints.

• andrewb62

re performance-enhancing equipment vs. training at altitude

I'd say "no" to the former, because the test is meant to be athlete vs. athlete, not tech vs. tech.

But altitude training seems OK - admittedly, not every athlete has access to/can afford to travel for high altitude training, but the "output" is a better-adapted athlete, not a new piece of add-on tech. And if altitude adaptation was banned, would all Colombian cyclists and many Kenyan distance runners be banned because they were born at altitude?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)