Loading ...

Manager Player Communication - Letting Players Go | Coaching Adults

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Adults » Forum » All other topics on coaching adults » Manager Player Communication - Letting Players Go
Coaching Adults

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other topics on coaching adults

Manager Player Communication - Letting Players Go

Subscribe to RSS
  • saranicolehilton

This time of year during the football season can be quite chaotic. Looking to bring in new players and letting go of current players can go one of two ways. 

There’s recently been a lot of media attention around an incident regarding a manager informing a player of their dismissal via text. For the record, I completely disagree with this method of communication when it comes to player dismissal. 

I would be interested in hearing others’ opinions of this and also what communication methods are used when it comes to sensitive matters like this. 

• DTW49

I am a Level 3 RFU rugby coach in a paid position. I can think of no other method of communicating, what is essentially bad news, in a worse light than this. It is my policy to talk to players face to face when I have to tell them that they are dropped, In my opinion, communicating in this manner, Text,  is insensitive, to a certain extent shows a lack of respect, and generally shows to players that the coach basically does not have what it takes to deal with these situations. I always ensure that any player being dropped is informed before any squad announcement. My policy is to ask the player how he thinks that he is performing. They know if they are not up to speed, and will probably say something that will give the coach a natural,'In' in order to discuss the bad news. To me, you have to soften the blow, as it were, and I have found that by asking them, it seems to work. One should not forget that when a coach says he needs a word, the player really knows what is coming. In my experience, players will respect you as a coach by using this method. As I always say," You may well not agree with what I am telling you, and in many ways you shouldn't, but the decision has been made honestly". It therefore follows that by talking face to face, honesty is being displayed by the coach. In my view, honesty, whether the coach is right, or wrong, is the most important building block between coach and squad.  How can any coach, in a team environment, expect any empathy with his players if you communicate by text ?     .   

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)