Loading ...

Tracking individual athlete skill development/progress? | Coaching Youth (age 13-18)

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Youth (age 13-18) » Forum » Coaching Youth (age 13-18), General Forum » Tracking individual athlete skill development/progress?
Coaching Youth (age 13-18)

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Youth (age 13-18), General Forum

Tracking individual athlete skill development/progress?

Subscribe to RSS
  • leschwaar

Hi all,

I'm a collegiate women's basketball coach and I've been working on better ways to track my individual players' skill development. I'm going to try to build an app for myself and was wondering if anyone else has struggled with effectively tracking individual players' progress and skills? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience to find out whether this is just me or something that other coaches struggle with too.

If anyone thinks this might be useful for their coaching wants to take a short survey, I'd be happy to send you the app as soon as I have it together so that you can use it too. Here's the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TQDXFSG

I'd love to hear from you if you have any thoughts on this. Thanks so much.

-Lauren

• PeterHurdegaryp
    Hi Lauren, although I am active in volleyball instead of basketball, I am also trying to track individual player skill development.
  • PeterHurdegaryp
    I use a hardcopy system, where I have noted skill cues and awarded them points. For a perfectly executed skill the player gets 5 points. For a poorly executed skill 1 point. This quick scoring sheets allows me to score the players during training. Afterwards I put the score for every individual player on a sheet to track the progress. By using the quick scoring sheet, I can also give specific feedback to the player.
  • leschwaar

Hi Peter,

Fantastic! That's helpful. I'd love to hear more about your system. Let me know if you'd be up for chatting about it over the phone sometime.

-Lauren

• PeterHurdegaryp

Hi Lauren,

Using the telephone may not be convenient since I live in the Netherlands. What I like to do is sending my sheets (or the source from which I have adapted my sheets). It contains both technical and tactical skills. You can also use it to design your seasonal planning. 

Just wait a few days for my answer. 

Greetings, Peter

• PeterHurdegaryp

Hi Lauren,

I am sending some pictures. Every skill that I must teach is divided in essential elements. For example (and I am not a basketball player) the lay-up: 1. 3-step rhythm, 2. 1 leg jump, 3. Extending arm, 4. Using the backboard.

First I track whether or not the player executes the basics. Second, I keep stats during practices and games on the successfull execution of the skill. You could use a rubric based on 5 different percentages (0,2 - 0.3 - 0.4 - 0.5 - 0.6.... 0.6 = 6 out of 10 are a successful, or what is common in your sport)

• leschwaar

Hi Peter,

That's absolutely fantastic. Thank you for sending this. If I'm able to get a tool together that could help make this process easier, would you be interested in trying it out and letting me know what you think of it?

Let me know if you'd be up for that and I'll send you a private message too.

Best,

-Lauren

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)