Loading ...

Coaching Mavericks | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: UK Coaching's Curious Coach Club

Coaching Mavericks

Follow RSS Feed
  • PaulT
    I'm sure all of us have either coached someone who is maverick, been in a group or team with a maverick, or even been the maverick ourselves.

This weeks sessions will kick off with Nick Levett and guests exploring what makes someone a maverick? Is a maverick just the disruptive, audacious player who thinks the rules are for other people? Are some mavericks those athletes who see and interact with their performance world a little differently from the expected norms of a specific situation? Either due to a different socio-cultural or coaching pathway, or from their high level of skill. If so, what and how, can we learn from them?

What impact do mavericks have on the people around them? As coaches are there some ways in which we can understand and be more effective at coaching mavericks? 
  • PaulT

Want some further reading? Check out the below

Rebels...with a cause - The class clown or cheeky chappie is the life and soul of the party, but it’s not always a laughing matter when it comes to integrating a rebel, an individual, a ‘maverick’ into a sporting environment, as Crispin Andrews discovered.

• astridwhartongmailcom6PNX4PZ6
    Is it possible to to have a further conversation on the ‘teenage’ brain? Plus any recommendation for reading/podcasts on this subject would be very useful
  • PaulT
    On 30/06/20 10:32 AM, astrid wharton said:

Is it possible to to have a further conversation on the ‘teenage’ brain? Plus any recommendation for reading/podcasts on this subject would be very useful

Check out this link Teenage development in COVID times: Considering the mental health of our young people

• PaulT

Missed the session OR want to watch it back....

• Marianne

When I was assigned the role of planning the ‘coaching mavericks’ curious coaches club, I have to admit that I was really excited. It is a topic that is close to my heart and one I believe warrants attention in both coaching and coach development practice (and in research).

It would appear that I am not alone. The chat box last Monday comprised well over 6,000 words of interaction, the Twitter conversations have been rich and insightful, and the communities of practice have been the most fascinating and engaged-in reflective conversations so far.

It was great to have a mix of; individual, team, adventure sports, coaching practice, psychology, talent pathway, school, and grassroots experiences. All discussed in depth by Nick Levett (host) and the panel (Sarah Green and Jonathan Myles).

Across that diversity there were some common themes:

1. Do we have clarity on what a ‘maverick’ is? If it is just someone who thinks or sees things differently to the rest of the group, are we not all mavericks in some situations?
    2. Understand ourselves and how our values, beliefs and expectations impact others.
    3. Be curious. Seek to understand others first. Why does someone think differently? What does their perspective add to the group? Is it a reflection of current group diversity, or lack of?
    4. Is there alignment in outcome goals, expectations and appropriate behaviours? Have these been co-created/ agreed? If so, we can allow autonomy within that structure.
    5. Be careful of treating people differently because you think they are more talented/ skilful.
    6. Connection over perfection. Recognise that people make mistakes and stay curious about their motivation and their why. Motivational interviewing was identified as being a powerful tool here (see last week’s curious coaches club webinar with Stephen Rollnick).

So where are my thoughts now?

1. Moving away from the practice of ‘coaching mavericks’ and thinking about possibly needing to be a coaching maverick.
    2. What about those environments where there is too much conformity? Or individuals who are very conformist? (Overly constrained/ stable systems)
    3. How do we identify where and when we need stability and when we can have more variability (in views, thoughts, values, behaviours)?
    4. Do mavericks have more confidence than those who may be more conformist? Is that a influenced by the specific environment?
    5. As a coach or coach developer, is it useful to assess the variability of coaching environments as a test of how ‘healthy and safe’ that environment it? A ‘maverick’ tolerance test!

As I work through these ideas, I'll share my thoughts. Please share yours too. I would love to hear more from you all.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)