Loading ...

Swimming Being Used To Compliment other Sports | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Swimming Being Used To Compliment other Sports
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Swimming Being Used To Compliment other Sports

Follow RSS Feed
  • infoswimneticsgmailcomNQ4PTLFR

This is my first post on here so, please forgive if this sort of thing isn't usually posted in this way laughing

As my coaching program develops I am interested more and more in branching out to other sport coaches from a vast selection of disciplines, for their ideas and personal beliefs in swimming being present in their training programs and with their athletes.

I am hoping to start a conversation to gather as much information as I can and begin my research into the topic.

Im interested to see how other sports approach swimming, if at all, in their training and if the coaches of the athletes believe it has any benefits towards the development and performance of their athletes across any level.

I have brought forward 5 questions regarding this and to be more specific in what it is im hoping to achieve with this post. I would appreciate any feedback on the questions in as best description as possible.

1. What is your primary sport?

2. Do you or have you in the past used any swim training to complement your training plan for your athletes?

3. From your personal opinion, would you say any swim training is beneficial to your sport and the athletes within it?

4. How would you incorporate swim training into your sport to benefit the training of your athletes at all levels?

5. From your understanding, how do you think swim training could benefit your athletes performance at any level?

I look forward to reading through your responses. 

• lochindaal

Hi Adam

I coach Triathlon so of course, swimming benefits the athletes.  You haven't said what sport you coach and what you hope to gain from adding swimming?

What I would say is swimming can be used in multiple ways to develop different types of physiological fitness and also for good recovery sessions.   All of this can be done with no load-bearing.

The difficulty to incorporate into a completely different sports program would be it is a very technique based so to use it as an additional training tool would require lots of time in the pool to get the athletes competent enough to do meaningful sessions.  The other big problem you may have is actually getting pool time.

• lesleyquineygmailcom5652W7MA
    I would second Kevin’s statement, for an athlete to benefit fully from swimming they must be able to swim well/competently. There is a super amount of technique to swimming but if they already have that or are will
  • lesleyquineygmailcom5652W7MA
    Ing to learn then there is nothing better than swimming to enhance their fitness without the impact
  • americo

I've been a handball coach for many years.
    I have used swimming training on some occasions (bil): in a period of general physical preparation, after the competition and recovery after recovery.
    Consider that swimming training can be useful in many circumstances for handball players. Can be used for proprioceptive training, strength training, recovery after competition and recovery after injury.
    At youth levels, it can be important for multilateral preparation and for basic motor skills training.
    I understand that it can be useful at any level.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)