Loading ...

Disruptive Behavior in Primary age | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Disruptive Behavior in Primary age
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Disruptive Behavior in Primary age

Subscribe to RSS
  • nickjsimsaolcomJU16JI8U

Does anyone have advice for how to deal with persistent low level disruptive behavior when training/coaching kids of ages 6 & 7 yrs?  

I have a particular unruly bunch that tend to feed off each other when things get out of hand. I know it's them because I coach another set of kids on a different day/sport that i have no issues with.  Last week's session was a almost a write-off.

I am qualified to coach this sport but the problem is i have never played it and it's that fact that is always in the back of my mind. I do prepare session plans but I'm not massively creative nor effervescent and in reality probably wouldn't coach if my son stopped playing in the team. Maybe that is coming across in the session and rubbing off on the kids?

I'm probably not the type to come down heavy on discipline because at the end of the day these are other people's kids! I try to keep the sessions fun but relevant to the sport we are playing. But I do struggle to engage with some of the kids. I do think there are kids that either don't want to be there or don't know why they are there. For that I blame the parents. 

Someone told me to start sitting kids out or sending them on a run to the other side of the field but I get the impression that is not the done thing these days! 

• lthorp

Hi Nick, I appreciate your honesty and I have certainly faced this before and am continuing to try to create/facilitate the right environment for the little ones! I respect that you don't want to be physically punishing kids and that there might always be kids who appear that they don't want to be there, but this will always be one of the challenges of coaching kids. It does sounds to me like you have reflected well about what the potential problems might be. I want to give you my opinions below, but as I don't know the entire context of the situation, I accept that I might be making generalisations or be off the mark.

Firstly, I don't think you can 100% say that 'you know it's them because you have no problems with another group/sport'. Every individual is different - as is every group dynamic (this includes the coach and sport) and we as coaches have to observe and tweak our approach and behaviours accordingly. One thing that worked last session might not even work the next time with the same person due to a bad day at school or events at home and this is why kids will always keep us guessing and adapting. Try getting to know the kids more before or after a session so that it becomes easier to engage with them and hopefully this means that they will open up more to you. If you are not already, ask them how their weekend was, what their favourite foods are etc and then you could always relate activities to these interests.

A quote that helped me was this; "they don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

To your second point, I don't think it is a big concern that you haven't played. Yes, there's arguments that if you've played you might not know what's fun or needed in a session or might not be able to demonstrate as well etc but I think this can also be learned so I wouldn't let this bog you down. In regards to your session plans, one thing that really stands out is that although you arrive prepared, you mentioned that your plans might be lacking the variation and creativity that gets the players motivated, engaged and therefore enjoying the activity. As you know, 6 and 7 year olds naturally have a short attention span and you might need to further observe, analyse and even ask the kids when and why they start to lose interest. - Coach the session in front of you, not your plan.

It might also mean having numerous activities or progressions in your back pocket that you can quickly move to that:

• Have lots of play and opportunities for exploratory learning
    • Promote 100% participation 100% of the time
    • Have topics that the kids can relate to and find interesting
    • Facilitate the right level of healthy competition
    • Provide opportunities to score
    • Dangle the right carrot to keep them interested (not too easy and not too hard)
    • Are fun, fun and more fun

It might also be worth keeping kids who you know disrupt each other away from each other as much as possible until you find a better formula for your sessions. From my experience, if the kids are engaged, motivated and having fun, then they a lot less likely to show signs of disruptive behaviour. I accept that things won't change over night and it will be a process of experimentation so be patient, open-minded and persistent. 

Happy for you to let me know more, Nick and hope I can be of more help if you want.

• Wendyrussell

Hi,

Totally agree with all the other suggestions. I have looked into this 

https://www.pdscoaching.com/

by Mark Bennett. It looks at how behaviors impact performance. This is the pod cast I listened too (by Stuart Armstrong with Mark) I have used it with a VERY VERY CHATTY GROUP! 

http://www.thetalentequation.co.uk/single-post/2017/08/06/A-conversation-with-my-mentor---Mark-Bennett-MBE

How you can employ non-negotiable's. So behaviors that are acceptable at training an those that are not. This is discussed as a group, and then consequences to not doing them. As the groups come up with them, then hold each other accountable.

• andrewb62

I think Luke has nailed this - "coaches have to observe and tweak our approach and behaviours..." to suit the players.

The quote that comes to mind is "I am their coach, they are not my players" - Paddy Upton calls this the "servant-leader" role. There are good (pedagogical) reasons for becoming a player-centric coach, but, practically, your chances of drastically changing player behaviour when you don't yet have their buy-in and see them only once a week are probably slim. So you have to work with what you have, for now.

The iCoachKids MOOCs are very good on understanding child development, and finding ways to work with individuals who will be growing (socially, physically, emotionally & cognitively) week by week.

The MOOCs are here: https://www.icoachkids.eu/free-moocs-for-coaches-of-children.html

But if they look heavy (MOOC #1 was chunky), all of the video content is available on the iCK YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMMDMadlmu15v-Wo4-c-vOw

• Rod23
    Hello, this might seem like a commercial view but my social enterprise has created a behaviour management tool which initially was developed to support vulnerable young people across the vunerability spectrum who were at serious risk of permenant exclusion from mainstream primary and secondary schools. We've been contracted to work in many different educational settings in schools where there awere hih levels on anxiety during unstructured times of the day and in some cases we worked in schools who had to ban football during these times. We've extensively used this process mainly during PE lessons, before and after school clubs and local authorities helping to re engage children struggling in education. It brings real consistency and accountabililty to the participants. It effectively sets the tone and gives responsibility to each individuals learning, attitude and behaviour. Parent/carers like that they can see what their child has been learning. It is 'child centred' and has evolved over many years. We help to engage the less able or disengaged child and create positive outcomes. Our framework is skill based and develops emotional self regulation, builds emotional resilience and enables children and young people to embed employability skills linked to employability research. We've successfully supported some of the most disaffected children and young people in both primary and secondary education to sustain their current placements or transition to new schools. NOW THE SPORTS BIT!!!! So we've gone the education route first through the PE. In one particular school which was in special measures in a socially deprived part of the town we were able to engage eveyone from KS1 and KS2 through the same process. We are now launching the framework in football at grass roots level with players aged 7-15. We hope to have the same success as we're having in our current schools based work. If you want more details please email info@5050sync.com
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)