Loading ...

Your Mentoring Experience: Do you have a mentor? If not why? How important have they been? Any tips? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Your Mentoring Experience: Do you have a mentor? If not why? How important have they been? Any tips?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Your Mentoring Experience: Do you have a mentor? If not why? How important have they been? Any tips?

Subscribe to RSS
  • robertkmaaye

Hi all

I've just been reading one of the newest series of resources for UK Coaching Subscribers on mentoring produced from Sarah Kelleher and John Fletcher's 2019 UK Coaching Conference keynote.

In the talk (amongst other things) they emphasised the positive contribution that mentoring can make to coaching practice with Sarah sharing how important a mentor was for her, in particular when she became head coach of England girls’ U18 hockey team.

In ConnectedCoaches we've also previously explored the relationship between mentor and coach with members Matthew Wood &  Matte Hart (there have also been a couple of super conversation threads: See  Wendy Russell : How to mentor different coaching personalities?! And  Dusty Miller  Mentoring...)

...but I was curious about what everyone in the community's experience has been of mentoring?

Do you have a regular mentor?

What do you value most about your relationship?

What makes them good (or bad) at what they do?

How important have they been to your development?

If you don't have a mentor what is it that is preventing you from working with one? (there are lots of community members I'm sure that would be happy to connect and support you smile)

If anyone is or has been a mentor what would your top tips be for being a good mentor or even mentee?!

As always look forward to reading about your experiences smile

• Wendyrussell

So I am currently on the exciting journey of doing my Advanced Coaches Program for England Hockey. As part of this I have been given a mentor, and he has created a group with everyone he his mentoring on this program. 

It has been great sharing ideas and issues, plus he checks in and can't wait to see where this goes. Whilst I have been a mentor for other coaches and teachers, I have never had an official mentor. So looking forward to this new side of the mentoring journey!! 

• robertkmaaye

Sounds like it is going to be great experience for you Wendy! Be very interested to hear how you find the role reversal. Do keep us posted smile

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)