Loading ...

Coach education, development and support - What do you want? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Coach education, development and support - What do you want?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Coach education, development and support - What do you want?

Subscribe to RSS
  • MattFiander

    Hi everyone,

    I'm working to put together a coach education, development and support system at my local club to run along side the current provision being offered by my national governing body (in my case, rugby union, but the system I'm designing is broad enough to apply to other sports). I work in higher education lecturing on sports psychology and coaching but also coach at my local rugby union club, meaning I have a foot in both camps.  As part of my job I have access to all this great research that really helps me but it doesn't seem to make its way to the wider coaching population. Because of this, I feel there is a real opportunity to create a system that brings this knowledge directly to coaches at their clubs that can help them learn, grow and feel supported. The idea is to run this along side their current education provision, not to replace it, so it would focus on broader subjects, such as learning theories, coaching behaviours, motivation, etc, rather than sport specific knowledge or safeguarding practices. I would love to know if there are any subjects that you would want to know more about? Or, more broadly, what kind of system would you like if this were being implemented at your club?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • AndyP

    Sounds interesting Matt. I think the main consideration should be what is the audience... in all honesty I suspect that those on here may not be those that benefit most.

    There's so much information available, those that have their own drive to learn and progress can access it fairly easily... admittedly there can be a challenge sorting the quality content from the noise, but there's no doubt information is available.

    Where I think there is a desperate lack of coverage in terms of coach CPD is those that are not willing to put themselves out to learn and are generally happy to just coach the way that they were coached, which more often than not was the way that the previous coach was coached... "we've always done it that way" seems to be an attitude handed down by many coaches unfortunately. If you can find a way to get that audience bought into the idea of learning something new, you could have a real game-changer on your hands.

  • MattFiander

    Hi Andy,

     

    Thanks for replying!

     

    It's a good point, in my research on team selection I came up against this kind of thinking (though admittedly I didn't come across an unwillingness to learn, more a lack of awareness of alternative practices). My question would be whether those coaches have been put in an environment that encourages them to learn. Coaches seem to be "left to it" after attending education courses so it doesn't surprise me that some may then stick to their knowledge of how they were coached. The goal with this new system I'm developing is to create a culture of communication, mentoring, reflection, and (most importantly) learning within the club so the norm becomes constantly challenging and learning, rather than "doing what we've always done." But something I'll definitely keep in mind!

     

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • Corfieldcoaching

    I am a relatively new coach in netball - having started out helping at my child’s club which I suspect is how most people start.

    i am also an L&D manager so understand the basics of learning for myself and people I am training. 

    However, I am finding accessing official coaching courses very difficult and would appreciate help to direct me to effective resources or share ideas about developments in learning and about motivational behaviours, especially in relation to young people.

    i am not unwilling to learn but I am time-poor so will happily accept any advice I can get!

     

  • MattFiander

    Hi Joanna,

     

    Thanks for replying!

     

    The structure of what I'm thinking of doing is having a period of time in which content is delivered (probably in the summer, which is out of season for rugby union) but have everything done online during the season. This means that during busier periods coaches would be able to communicate and support each other online but also access content and resources too. Being a volunteer coach I know how difficult it is to carve out time for anything, which is one of the big motivations for this project! Would this split of delivered content when the season calms down (if this is the same in netball of course!) and online support when it's busier during the season sound like something you would want as a coach?

     

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • Dear sir

    I have been an athletic coach in srilanka i want follow  coaching courses for the benefit of my athletes

    please guide me 

    thank cicilton

  • robertkmaaye

    Hi Joanna

    Welcome to the community...great to have you on board!

    Hopefully you’ll find lots on the site in the areas you’re interested in.

    On 22/02/19 5:09 PM, Joanna Corfield said:

    effective resources or share ideas about developments in learning and about motivational behaviours, especially in relation to young people.

    I recommend you join the Coaching Youth (13-18) group and maybe the New to Coaching group as there might be a conversation thread or blog in there that peaks your interest. In addition you can always use the site search, which I’m sure will bring up some results that could help you.

    There is also series of guides and animations UK Coaching did in partnership with Sport England that are worth checking out. What motivates young people to be active? is a good one to check out first. There are links to the video and the rest of the series at the end.

    You could also use the UK Coaching resource search which will bring up more potentially useful content.

    On 22/02/19 5:09 PM, Joanna Corfield said:

    i am also an L&D manager

    You might be interested in an event UK Coaching is running. It’s a community of practice for people involved in learning design from inside and outside the sport and physical sector. The Connected Learning Network is taking place on 27 March 2019 in Sheffield. If you are interested you can find out more about the day here. If you have any questions about the day send a message to Mark Scott or Kelly Brown as they will be running the day for UK Coaching. I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions you have online or offline.

    Hope this is all helpful

    Great conversation Matt Fiander look foward to seeing how it develops

    All the best

    Rob

  • PTGlover

    Hello All

    Thanks for starting this thread, it is timely, I have just (last week) started a Coaching CPD WhatsApp group for our coaches at an Amateur Rugby League Club to share good practice, coaching links etc.

    The coaches have agreed to attend some sessions that we are going to put on focusing on reflecting on your own coaching practice. 

    We are also appointing mentors (and providing the mentors with in-house mentor training) for new coaches.

    The next step is to formalise some peer observation sessions. The coaches are making the right noises, but I am unsure how much they will buy in. 

    One of the steps I am going to do is share the details of Connected Coaches. 

     

    Phil

     

  • andy_boyle

    Hi Matt,

    Our Coach Developer runs 'Coaches Evenings' at our rugby club, perhaps two of three during the season where the coaches are given a free pint and curry and we have a talk. Sometimes this has been led by coaches within the club - and these might be specifically about rugby coaching and sometimes we have had a lecturer from the local uni to come and talk to us about broader aspects of coaching e.g. last time we had a talk about types of power within coaching. 

    You do have the same problem - those that are willing to come along, tend to be the ones that also value the CPD courses and more generally reflect on, and evolve their coaching. The food and beer only go so far in attracting the ones that 'have always done it that way'! We have also talked about shorter breakfast sessions on a Sunday morning - but haven't tried these yet.

    From a personal point of view, I like the off-season to be free of formal rugby commitments - the end of a season can get a bit relentless and by the time May comes around I need some time away from rugby to recharge the batteries before we spend time planning how we introduce the new skills for the next season.

    Regards,

    Andy.

  • MattFiander
    On 25/02/19 9:46 AM, Andy Boyle said:

    Hi Matt,

    Our Coach Developer runs 'Coaches Evenings' at our rugby club, perhaps two of three during the season where the coaches are given a free pint and curry and we have a talk. Sometimes this has been led by coaches within the club - and these might be specifically about rugby coaching and sometimes we have had a lecturer from the local uni to come and talk to us about broader aspects of coaching e.g. last time we had a talk about types of power within coaching. 

    You do have the same problem - those that are willing to come along, tend to be the ones that also value the CPD courses and more generally reflect on, and evolve their coaching. The food and beer only go so far in attracting the ones that 'have always done it that way'! We have also talked about shorter breakfast sessions on a Sunday morning - but haven't tried these yet.

    From a personal point of view, I like the off-season to be free of formal rugby commitments - the end of a season can get a bit relentless and by the time May comes around I need some time away from rugby to recharge the batteries before we spend time planning how we introduce the new skills for the next season.

    Regards,

    Andy.

    Hi Andy,

    This seems to be a theme coming up a lot (engaged coaches will always turn up, whereas others may not), do you think there is a way of formalising CPDs offered by clubs meaning attending and engaging with them becomes the "norm"? Or do you think this would backfire?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • MattFiander
    On 25/02/19 9:18 AM, Phil Glover said:

    Hello All

    Thanks for starting this thread, it is timely, I have just (last week) started a Coaching CPD WhatsApp group for our coaches at an Amateur Rugby League Club to share good practice, coaching links etc.

    The coaches have agreed to attend some sessions that we are going to put on focusing on reflecting on your own coaching practice. 

    We are also appointing mentors (and providing the mentors with in-house mentor training) for new coaches.

    The next step is to formalise some peer observation sessions. The coaches are making the right noises, but I am unsure how much they will buy in. 

    One of the steps I am going to do is share the details of Connected Coaches. 

     

    Phil

     

    Hi Phil,

    This sounds really interesting, do you have any advice for what worked and what could have been differently regarding setting something like this up?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • kingsk1066

    Hi Matt,

    I have just started in a new Talent ID and Development role in the disability sport of Boccia. I'm thinking about coach forums, local coaching groups, blogs and in-competition coach sessions as different ways of reaching coaches who may have little support at the moment - many will be parents, teachers, physios, multi-sport coaches etc and we've only just started offering certificated coaching awards so not that many will have much formal training. My plan is to try and 'drop in' short sharp ideas to inform coaches and perhaps give them a focus for what they might coach next. I know this won't be at the right level for everyone all the time, and I imagine that the in-competition sessions might not be well attended for obvious reasons, but my feeling is that you have to start somewhere! 

  • andy_boyle

    Hi Matt,

    I suppose that depends on what the objective is. I am not sure that formalising the club CPDs would necessarily help - there is an increasing number of formal CPDs that the RFU offers, and these suffer from the same problem even when being hosted by our club.

    If the objective of the CPD is to have qualified coaches - then OK, but does this not miss the bigger picture? Do we want more reflective coaches that are willing and able to incorporate new ideas into their sessions and know where to go to get assistance when they need it?

    Of course CPD needs to include active learning, but should it also include elements of reflective and self-directed development such as news articles and pod-casts? These are much harder to identify and track, but may be easier for the busy part-time coach to consume.

    Regards,
    Andy.

  • MattFiander
    On 28/02/19 6:20 PM, Sandra King said:

    I'm thinking about coach forums, local coaching groups, blogs and in-competition coach sessions as different ways of reaching coaches who may have little support at the moment

    Hi Sandra,

    I'm only thinking of blending traditional face-to-face with online methods, I think with the amount of time coaches have it would be wise to do both!

     

    On 28/02/19 6:20 PM, Sandra King said:

    My plan is to try and 'drop in' short sharp ideas to inform coaches and perhaps give them a focus for what they might coach next.

    Something I'm wrestling with at the moment is whether to offer coaches specific coaching tips/practices/behaviours that they could implement immediately or to offer broad topics (e.g., motivational climates, learning theories, etc) that would development and support in a broader sense. What are you thoughts on this?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • MattFiander
    On 28/02/19 7:05 PM, Andy Boyle said:

    Do we want more reflective coaches that are willing and able to incorporate new ideas into their sessions and know where to go to get assistance when they need it?

    Hi Andy,

    This would sum up the purpose pretty well, it's a way of getting new content to coaches and offering support throughout the season (both in terms of getting this information, and creating a culture of support from their fellow coaches in the club). I mention the distinction in my original post between delivered content and online support because my idea was to have coaches come in during the summer to sessions in which they can be introduced to new content and explore what this means for their coaching practice, this wouldn't come with any formal qualifications, but it's an attempt to begin the process of creating a culture of learning and developing. Then the online support would happen during the season (although this would still be available over the summer) as I can only assume that time becomes too precious to continue face-to-face sessions! Would this be something you would expect rather than offering anything formal?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • Hi Matt,

    I am a former Coach Education Manager from a Sports Governing Body. What you bring to the table is something that should be addressed in the current way coach education is delivered. It has been highlighted that people who do want to develop and research additional material will find a way. However I believe the way, especially the UKCC format, has been set up and developed has had the effect of diluting the quality of coaching. We tried to introduce a broader syllabus for our coach ed, but found participants were not prepared to give up time or pay. I am working with a new sport and we are looking at a less linear approach to coach education where a coach can select a pathway based on what particular area they want to move into. The challenge will be supplying the necessary resources!

    Thanks

    Norman

     

  • MattFiander
    On 02/04/19 1:45 PM, norman mcglinchey said:

    I am working with a new sport and we are looking at a less linear approach to coach education where a coach can select a pathway based on what particular area they want to move into. The challenge will be supplying the necessary resources!

    Hi Norman,

    Thanks for getting back to me.

    This sounds really interesting, I'd love to have a chat about this and pick your brain if that's something you'd be interested in?

    Thanks,

    Matt

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)