Loading ...

How Do You Use The Inner Game Principles? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Continuing Professional Development (CPD) » How Do You Use The Inner Game Principles?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

How Do You Use The Inner Game Principles?

Subscribe to RSS
  • PeteF

IGofTennis

The Inner Game has been around now for 45 years! Tim Gallwey's journey into more effective learning and performance began when he realised that his tennis students were creating mental interference with internal dialogue and other distractions and that his coaching was often contributing to this instead of helping the process!

Back in 2003, I was lucky enough to be part of a team of tennis coaches who were trained by Sir John Whitmore to deliver coach training CPD for the Inner Game skill set. I got a lot of useful learning from this and over the years I've seen how effective using the Inner Game principles as a coach can be.

I'd be very interested to find out from the Connected Coaches community how many of you use the Inner Game principles and especially HOW you use these ideas and strategies in your coaching. What difference has this made to your coaching and your students' learning, performance and enjoyment?

The tennis coach tutor team got to meet Tim one day back when we were getting our initial training - I was struck by his humility and curiosity. Tim is in the UK this month delivering a conference for sports coaches and players - partly to celebrate 45 years of the Inner Game. All being well, I'll be getting a chance to speak to him again after all these years and I'm sure he'll be interested to hear what the Connected Coaches community has to say!

Peter*

• simonjeremyturner

Hi Peter

The Inner Game of Tennis had a big impact on my as an aspiring basketball player 20 years ago. In my coaching I try to help players identify a 'moment of stillness' within the chaos of a game. This can be as a team - particularly at the beginning of a time out.

I also use the concept to describe the brief moment after a player has let go of a shot but before it reaches the hoop. Although I haven't quantified the results, I have found found it a useful way of introducing mindfulness to players through basketball. 

Simon 

• PeteF

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Simon!

Would you say that this moment of stillness is possible throughout the chaos of a game? Do you deliberately coach Relaxed Focused Attention to help your players achieve this or would you call it something else? What are the 'Go-To' critical variables that you might direct your players' attention towards that you find particularly helpful for basketball?

Peter*

• incog

I attended a course on The Inner Game and it had a huge impact on me at the time. I now use it as much as I can in an equestrian context. It has been brilliant at raising self-awareness in my riders.

• PeteF

Hi Jill - thanks for your reply!

How would you sum up the main things that you actually do to incorporate the Inner Game principles to help your riders and what would you say are, for you, the most useful Critical Variables to help your riders to focus on?

Thanks!

Peter*

• incog

Difficult to say without being technical for my sport, but for example if the rider does not have an even rein contact I will ask them to give me a number between 1 and 10 for how strong the horse is in each rein, if they say 5 in right rein and 7 in left then I suggest they make it a 6 in both and then leave them for a while to work that out. I draw their attention to the area they need to focus on without actually telling them how to correct it, once they become aware of the problem they start to put it right themselves. Make them focus on it helps them concentrate and they start to realise they can sort these things out on their own which gives them confidence when they are competing.

• incog

Tim Gallwey is taking a course himself later this month in Hertford.

https://coachingkids4selfbelief.com/inner-game-conference/?fbclid=IwAR13vGmLaWHjM5kHaFWtOtvwGKopLG660ELOyRYcOHZlOjocONUm7xQOj-g

• PeteF
    On 09/04/19 9:09 PM, Jill Day said:

Make them focus on it helps them concentrate and they start to realise they can sort these things out on their own which gives them confidence when they are competing.

Thanks Jill - yes I remember when I first gave my students just a little more time to work it out and resisted the old urge to dive in too soon with all my technical knowledge - what a difference it made! What you say about making them focus on an area but then allowing them the time for increasing their own self-awareness, shows, for me, how both directive and non-directive coaching skills sit well together - it doesn't have to be one or the other.

• Gwilym

I started using the Inner game principals from the book, to help my golf game which I took up rather late in life. My golf handicap  reached a sticking point at eleven fairly rapidly and it stayed that way for many years due to being just a weekend golfer.  My other hobby was Oympic  Weightlifting in which I  only competed as a  Master as there was a lot less competition. I adapted  the Inner Game priciples to the sport, these crowded out most  of  the technical lifting thoughts, allowing my body to do  what was necessary. I am  weightlifting Coach and although there is sometimes a  reluctance for the kids to say the key points out loud there is usually some humour. My age will be 88 in a couple of months, so I have to be satisfied with my three bronze and a silver worlds.

• PeteF

Hi Gwilym - many thanks for your reply and apologies for not getting back to you as quickly as I would have liked.

I'm interested to find out what you focused on to 'crowd out' the technical lifting thoughts that were getting in the way of allowing your body to perform to its potential. Are they the same key points that you get the kids to monitor out loud whilst coaching now?

Congratulations on all your achievements and 'Happy 88th' when it arrives - I hope I'm still coaching when I'm 88!

Peter*

• disco_blue

In lawn bowls coaching, I use an exercise where I ask the bowler to assess as soon as the bowl has left their hand whether it will finish beyond the jack or short.  Then whether it is to the right or left of the jack, and later to guess both.  The idea is to give themselves instant gut reaction, and compare this to the result in a non judgemental way, trying to keep bossy Self 1 quiet.

• PeteF

Hi Ian - thanks for your reply!

Interesting to see how you apply it to bowls - raising awareness of the feelings around the release of the ball, quietening the mind with non-judgemental observation of action and result - it's all there!

In tennis we've had some success using the phrase 'the target is just a reference for your intention' and then prioritising improving the skill of non-judgemental observation - noticing exactly where the ball lands in relation to the target in order to provide Self 2 with excellent feedback and then trust it to begin to optimise the results.

I'm just travelling up to the Inner Game conference in Hertfordshire this evening and there may be a chance to share this post with Tim Gallwey at some point. I know that he's interested in how different sports are applying the principles.

Peter*

• disco_blue

I really enjoyed the Inner Game of Tennis and Golf  books, and  I often mention the concept of Self 1 and Self 2 to my students and the need to be kinder to themselves.  I am sure they would not appreciate me saying the shot they played was "terrible" and how "useless" they are, but that is often how they describe their own efforts!

• PeteF

Thanks, Ian - yes I agree Self 1 and Self 2 make a very useful model to share with students. I've just got back from the Inner Game Conference with Tim Gallwey, which helped me to realise that I had room, not only in sport and coaching, but just in my daily life, to 'delegate to Self 2' even more than I have been doing. It was good to spend two days with Tim and I feel like I've somehow gained a deeper understanding of an effective way to facilitate learning.

Peter*

• Marianne

Hi Jill,

I would love to hear more about how you use the Inner Game principles in an equestrian context. I'm currently doing a PhD at Hartpury University looking at developing an ecological dynamics pedagogy for equestrian sports coaching. Thank you :) 

• Marianne
    On 09/04/19 10:09 PM, Jill Day said:

Difficult to say without being technical for my sport, but for example if the rider does not have an even rein contact I will ask them to give me a number between 1 and 10 for how strong the horse is in each rein, if they say 5 in right rein and 7 in left then I suggest they make it a 6 in both and then leave them for a while to work that out. I draw their attention to the area they need to focus on without actually telling them how to correct it, once they become aware of the problem they start to put it right themselves. Make them focus on it helps them concentrate and they start to realise they can sort these things out on their own which gives them confidence when they are competing.

On 09/04/19 10:09 PM, Jill Day said:

Hi Jill, I sent a question before reading the rest of the thread... That is a great example of using the principles to help create awareness of the perceptual information (rein pressure) that the rider needs to become aware of. Then encourage a search for solutions that will help them to become more autonomous and adaptive, thus giving them the confidence to sort problems when they are on their own. :)  

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)