Loading ...

What do you think of the New Sport England ‘Uniting the Movement’ Strategy? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching News » What do you think of the New Sport England ‘Uniting the Movement’ Strategy?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching News

What do you think of the New Sport England ‘Uniting the Movement’ Strategy?

Follow RSS Feed
  • robertkmaaye

Sport England have announced their new 10-year  vision to transform lives and communities through sport and physical activity.

Coaches will obviously be crucial in helping to rebuild momentum and get communities back to their pre-COVID-19 activity levels.

Has anyone read the strategy? What do you think of their five big issues?

1. Recover and reinvent
    2. Connecting communities
    3. Positive experiences for children and young people
    4. Connecting with health and wellbeing
    5. Active environments

• andrewb62

It is actually quite difficult to find coaches in this strategy.

Although “The people who spend their time helping others to be active are our most precious resource...” there is little mention of utilising or developing the existing resource.

I do appreciate that this is a 10 year vision, not a working strategy document, and that Sport England is focused on advocacy and "big picture" thinking. But if coaches are crucial to kick-starting the hoped for recovery, we might, perhaps, have expected them to be a little more visible?

"Ensuring the people central to delivering these great experiences better reflect, understand and represent the communities they’re working with." Implying that the current workforce does not.

"Transforming the way people, paid or unpaid, who help children and young people get active are developed, recognised and empowered to deliver quality experiences." Suggesting that those currently in the workforce are not able to deliver "quality experiences".

The word "coach" appears just once in the document, in the context of the duty of care owed by the organising bodies to coaches.

• Heather1972

Hi Andrew, many thanks for posting your response to the Sport England Strategy here.  I understand your concern here as on the face of it a word count of 1 for "Coach" would be disappointing.  Please let me reassure you that UK Coaching have worked closely with Sport England throughout the development and consultation of this strategy and coaching and workforce are at the forefront of our collective minds.

As Tim Hollingsworth mentioned, this is a 10 year strategy with an evolving Action Plan.  The Action plan will detail the tactics employed to achieve the ultimate outcome of movement and uniting a movement for the nation.  Throughout the five big issues, a front line workforce is recognised as the catalyst for change, having a coaching workforce who are able to deliver excellent experiences for all it of paramount importance and UK Coaching will be working with a number of partners including Sport England to achieve this.  Coaching may have to recover and reinvent, but the coaching process and the positive impact it can have will remain core to the power of coaching.

People, Purpose and Place are three key themes close the Sport England's heart, the PEOPLE mantra is one we will join forces on and link to the themes that were articulated in the launch, namely: Invest in People; Increase Leadership Skills; Place Based Delivery and Collaboration.

I hope this puts your mind at some ease - UK Coaching are "Here for the Coach" and will continue to be.

Many thanks

Heather

• Blake

Please take the time to read the opinion article now on the UK Coaching website (‘From Great Adversity Comes Great Opportunity’) discussing the new #UnitingTheMovement strategy.

I shine the spotlight on its guiding principles of collaboration and opportunity that will be key to the nation’s recovery, plus the critical role coaching has to play in helping to achieve the strategy's key objectives.

https://www.ukcoaching.org/resources/topics/expert-opinions/sport-england-ten-year-strategy-from-great-adversi

• andrewb62

Thanks for replying, Heather. I have also now read Emma Atkins’ thought leadership piece on Sport England’s strategy, and Blake’s article.

I never doubted the commitment from UK Coaching to supporting the coaching workforce.

I was surprised by the almost invisibility of coaching in the Sport England document, however.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)