Loading ...

Rugby World Cup - which coach will handle the pressure the best? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching News » Rugby World Cup - which coach will handle the pressure the best?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching News

Rugby World Cup - which coach will handle the pressure the best?

Subscribe to RSS
  • robertkmaaye

Eddie Jones...Warren Gatland...Joe Schmidt...Steve Hansen...Rassie Erasmus...Michael Cheika...there are some seriously experienced high class coaches in the 2019 rugby World Cup...two of which won’t make the semi finals!

It could all come down to how they handle the pressure at what is widely regarded as the most open World Cup in years.

Preparation...selection...substitutions...officiating approach...media...extreme weather (they are going to have to be ready for anything!)....there are obviously so many areas they are going to be tested and challenged in.

Who does everyone think will handle the pressure the best?

I personally think Eddie Jones is going to absolutely thrive in this tournament and that Eddie, his coaching team and the players are ready for anything, and will adapt to whatever the tournament throws at them

What do you think? Who is best prepared and equipped to handle the pressure?

Cheers

Rob

PS Scots please don’t be offended I didn’t include Gregor Townsend in the list. Big fan of what he’s done but I just don’t quite class him at the same level experience wise (not ability!)

• robertkmaaye

Well after a truly memorable tournament my summary is:

Cheika – probably the most heavily criticised head coach of the tournament because of the manner of Australia's exit. Fair to say his selection and the style of play they adopted for the quarter final weren't well received. England and British & Irish Lions wing Ugo Monye's criticism sums up the general feeling well from those I have read or seen criticise Cheika

Schmidt – I've seen his game plan being criticised for the quarter final but I'm not sure they could have done much more on the day vs New Zealand who were excellent. He has been an outstanding coach for them during his time so I wish it had ended a bit better but in the end the team peaked too early. It will be interesting to see how they develop under Andy Farrell and if they will look to go back to a more expansive game as they did in the earlier years of Joe's reign.

Gatland – considering all the injuries Wales had I thought they did magnificent to run South Africa so close in the semi-final! I was frustrated watching at times because I thought the boks were there for the taking if Wales had just trusted their back play more... but overall I thought Gatland and his coaching team handled the tournament very well (excellent group stage), especially after all the drama of Rob Howley leaving!

Hansen – a true coaching legend but the selection in the semi-final of Scott Barrett at 6 might haunt him a bit. By the time he realised his mistake introducing Sam Cane at half time it was too late! But even if he had started...the England team were truly spectacular and I don't think it would have mattered. I think the next Kiwi coach will thank him for choosing this tournament to blood so many young players when he could easily have trusted some more experienced players.

Jones – until the final everything Eddie touched turned to gold! I thought he and his coaching team had an outstanding campaign and seemed to have got everything bang on. I was stunned (like many) by the performance in the final but I wont hear anything negative said about Eddie and how he prepared the team. I thought he had an excellent campaign, which included what many said at the time to be England greatest ever performance vs the All Blacks in the semi-final. I hope he stays for another tilt in 4 years and takes the lessons he learned from this into France 2023.

Erasmus – handled the pressure the best of them all! What he has done in such a short space of time since taking over the Boks is truly remarkable. The style of play he employed might not be universally liked but my word was it effective. He was rightly rewarded for his efforts by being crowned World Rugby Coach of the Year...well deserved!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)